One of the major advantages of GRC is that it does not use steel as a reinforcement, instead, it uses a special alkaline resistant glass fiber as a reinforcement. The product therefore:
1) Do not corrode,
2) Possible to have a thin section, making it lightweight,
3) Possible to form complicated shape.
4) Is noncombustible /fireproof
5) Has lower water absorption than concrete
There are 2 methods of producing GRC/GFRC product.
- By spray up : This method requires a GRC spray station, high shear mixer, AR rovings; cement, silica sand, water, plasticizer, polymer.
This method can load up more AR Glassfiber , and therefore has a better mechanical properties than the premix method.
- By premix method: This method requires a premixer, AR fiberglass chopped strand, cement , sand, water, plasticizer, polymer.